Temporary Nanny Jobs

including AuPair and Babysitter jobs 

Nanny or au pair jobs are great for anyone on a working holiday visa. Being a nanny or an au pair can be a great gig, giving you the the opportunity to save money as well as experience real Aussie life. It can easily be one of the best backpacker jobs in Australia!

There are plenty of nanny, au-pair and even casual babysitting jobs all around Australia. Many involve minding small children and babies and may also include light housework such as cooking for the children, cleaning, washing and folding clothes. The trick is how to find them.

Get our free "Tips from Backpackers Living and Working in Australia" PDF 

includes the

- Top 5 Highest Paid Jobs!

- Genuine Experiences of Backpackers in Australia

- Tips on finding work

However, you do need to be prepared and have the correct background checks and certificates - and make sure you include this on your resume!


Tip: If you plan only to work through an agency they can help you organise your certifcates. HOWEVER if you want to find the work yourself it is wise to get the proper certification yourself!

 Perks of Being a Nanny/Au-Pair in Australia

  1. Many are live-in positions have the benefits of including free meals and accommodation. They may even offer free internet access and use of a car.
  2. Getting a live-in position is rural Australia is a great way to save money and see a different side of Australia. It can also be a great cultural experience.
  3. You will get to experience real Australian life, especially if you get a live-in position, so it can be a great cultural experience.
  4. Families may take you on trips with them, they may even take you on holidays abroad with them!

Average Wages

Wages vary depending on where you are, the family you work for and how much experience you have. For example, a rural live-in positions can be between $200 and $400 a week.



Hours can vary, but usually they are long, especially if you are looking after babies or toddlers. Usually you will get weekends off, but some holiday and weekend work may also be involved.


General Requirements

Nanny and au-pair jobs are very easy to get into, once you meet certain requirements (listed below). Not all of these may be necessary, but most families will look for these general requirements, so it’s best to familiarise yourself with them:

A Working Holiday Visa: To start with, you will need to get a Working Holiday Visa. You can find out how to go about getting a working holiday visa here.

Working With Children Check: While many families advertise privately, they still might want  you to have the proper certification that allows you work with children. Each state has different requirements which are listed below.

First-aid Certifcate: Many families will want you to have a first-aid certificate.

Experience: Nearly all families will want you to have some experience with looking after children, so make sure that all of your experience is listed on your resume.

References: Good references and contact numbers make all the difference when you are looking for nanny and au-pair work. 

Full Drivers Licence: Some families will need you to drive the children to school, buy groceries etc. This isn’t always a requirement, but it is definitely a bonus to have one. In Australia, a full international drivers license is all you need to drive.

Tip: If your dirver's license isn't in English, you may need to carry a formal translation of your license into English with you also.


Background Checks and Certificates

Not all privately advertised jobs require you to obtain these certificates, but many do, so it’s best to familiarise yourself with them if you plan on doing any nanny or au pair work in Australia.


New South Wales

As of June 15th 2013, you will need to get certificate called a ‘Working with Children Check’ in order to work with children in New South Wales. This involves passing a criminal history check and a review of reported workplace misconduct. It is valid for five years with ongoing monitoring, which means that if you commit a criminal offence within the five years, you’re certificate will be revoked. The check costs $80 for the five years, but it is free for volunteers and students. For more information on working with children in New South Wales, including how to apply, click here.


South Australia

If you want to work with children in South Australia you must obtain a police clearance, which costs $62.75. To find out how to get a South Australian police check, click here.



To work with children in Queensland you need to have a Blue Card which is valid for 2 years and includes ongoing monitoring. To get a blue card costs $73.45, but is free for students and volunteers. To find out more about the Blue Card system, click here.



Victoria’s ‘Working with Children Check’ is similar to Queensland’s 'Blue Card'. It is valid for 5 years and costs $100. To find out more about Victoria's 'Working with Childrens Check', click here.


Western Australia

The ‘Working with Children Check’ for Western Australia is also similar to Queensland’s ‘Blue Card’. It is valid for 3 years and costs $53 for paid employees and $10.30 for students and volunteers. Visit this page for more info.


Northern Territory

To work with children in Australia’s Northern Territory you will need a ‘Working with Children Clearance Notice’ and an ‘Ochre Card’. The ‘Ochre Card’ is your own personal card to use as proof that you hold a ‘Working with Children Clearance Notice’. To get a ‘Working with Children Clearance Notice’ and ‘Ochre Card’ costs $52 for paid employees and $5 for volunteers and is valid for 2 years. To find out more about how to get an 'Ochre Card', click here.



Currently, there are no specific certificates that require you to work with children in Tasmania. Some employers will request a Police Clearance Certificate, which costs $62.75. To find out more about how to get a Police Clearance Certificate, click here.


Australian Capital Territory

In Australian Capital Terriotry (usually referred to as ACT), working with children is classed as 'Working with Vulnerable People'. To work with children in Australian Capital Territory you need to register with a Statutory Screening Unit or a Background Screening Unit. It costs $71 for paid employees and is free for volunteers. To more about working with children and vulnerable people in ACT, click here.


Where to Find Nanny/ Au-pair Jobs

A lot of families advertise on Gumtree, but always speak to them on the phone first and understand the situation and what they require from you. 

There are plenty of nanny and au-pair agencies who help you find work. They can even help you find a job before you leave home.





Keywords/Title: Industry: Specialisation:

Follow us on Twitter »